Saturday, October 27, 2012

Carving pumpkins


















We have learned that lately we can’t judge what the weather is going to be for October. In the past we have carved our pumpkins like the second week of the month, it was cool out so we were fine. But lately, if you carve the pumpkins to soon and the weather changes to an Indian Summer the pumpkins don’t last and so we carved our last night, did the whole roasting the seeds which so far I give it my best effort but they are never great, but I won’t give up one of these times I will not only surprise others in the family but myself as well. The pumpkins that have things painted on them are very cute but I can’t seem to break from tradition. Although things have changed with that tradition, my father is not the one who carves anymore.. Oh that was wonderful and who knew to appreciate it, we’d tell him what we wanted and he’d carve it for us…we did the design and my mom got the fun part of the inside. It was a system that worked really well. As you grow up and share the tradition with your children you find that those things that your parents made look so easy are not so easy after all. Pumpkin stuff goes everywhere, I should be smart and invite my family over for dinner on the night we will be carving pumpkins for old time sake J  we still have fun but it is more work I find the stencils to be nice on my kids pumpkins and I am getting to the age where I think the painting of the face is just what I need. No fuss no muss and it’s cute besides. Enjoy carving your jack o lanterns with your kids, once the kitchen gets all cleaned up and the candle rests calmly  inside our works of art I remember it was fun and what a gift to give your kids….memories. Have fun and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment